OnePlus recently released the second phone of the Nord series named Nord CE 5G. It comes with a similar design and specs as the first OnePlus Nord. Although the device is a 5G, you will only get one band of 5G in some regions. We have already shared GCam for Nord CE. And here we are with the root guide. Here you will know how to root OnePlus Nord CE and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord CE.
OnePlus is well known for its flagship devices. But now the OEM has also stepped into the mid range market starting with OnePlus Nord. And later the OEM released a few mid range OnePlus Phones. OnePlus Nord CE is the new Mid Range phone from OnePlus. It comes with a 6.43-inch FHD+ AMOLED display with 90Hz refresh rate support. The phone comes with a Snapdragon 750G processor and Adreno 619 GPU.
OnePlus Nord CE also comes with a triple camera. It includes 64MP+8MP+2MP camera sensors. At the front, it has a 16MP selfie camera. It runs on OxygenOS 11 based Android 11 out of the box. As you know OxygenOS provides a clean experience, you may not find enough customization options. But don’t worry you can get advanced features by rooting OnePlus Nord CE 5G. Here you will also get to know how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord CE.
How to Root OnePlus Nord CE
Rooting an Android phone still works and worth it if you know all the features and benefits of the root. And nowadays, the rooting process is not as simple as it used to be a few years ago. Fortunately, it’s possible to root most Android phones. Rooting allows you to use custom fonts, custom boot animation, third-party themes, etc. But as you know rooting is not possible if the bootloader is locked on the phone. So first we will share steps to unlock bootloader for OnePlus Nord CE.
OnePlus Nord CE Unlock Bootloader
Bootloader is a security feature for all Android phones. It is one of the reasons that now rooting an Android phone is complex. All Android phones come with locked bootloader by default. It restricts users from rooting or writing on the root directory. So to root OnePlus Nord CE, you have to first unlock its bootloader. Luckily OnePlus allows its users to unlock bootloader easily. You can check all the steps to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord CE.
- Start with taking a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader of OnePlus Nord CE will format data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus Nord CE and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- In About Phone, you will see Build Number, so tap about 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In the developer option, enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging. Also, enable the Advance reboot option under developer options.
- Long press the Power button and it will show some options, click on three dots and select bootloader. You can also boot into fastboot by using shortcut buttons.
- The OnePlus Nord CE will now boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode. Connect your phone to the computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. Enter the below command to check the device connectivity with the computer. It will give some device id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone. Now use the Volume buttons to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- The unlock process will remove all data. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the unlocking.
- Set up your device and enjoy OnePlus Nord CE with unlocked bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader of Nord CE, you can verify by going to Developer Options. The OEM Unlocking must be enabled by default. Now you are all set for rooting OnePlus Nord CE. Make sure to go through the given prerequisites for files and tools.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC (Or Download Platform Tools)
- Download firmware of OnePlus Nord CE (The same version that is installed on your phone)
- Some apps may not work including banking apps
Steps to Root OnePlus Nord CE 5G with Magisk
In this guide, we are going to use Magisk tool for rooting OnePlus Nord CE. Magisk is the advanced effective tool developed by John Wu. Recently the Magisk app received a major update which makes the root process effective. Let’s now check how to root Nord CE.
- Extract the Nord CE firmware and copy the boot.img to your phone.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your OnePlus Nord CE to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root OnePlus Nord CE.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your OnePlus Nord CE 5G, you can check for root access using any third-party root checker. Once you have root access on your OnePlus Nord CE, you can use all apps and features that require root privilege.
So that’s all on how to root OnePlus Nord CE phones and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus Nord CE. If you have a OnePlus phone, you can check out more guides on OnePlus.