In this manual, we are able to display you the stairs to fix the File Explorer crashing issue to your Windows 11 PC. The latest OS construct has sold in a truckload of the latest and memorable features. Right from the changes to the Taskbar to diverse consumer interface tweaks, there are lots to appearance into. Likewise, File Explorer has also passed through a few UI changes, with Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures all welcoming new icon sets. But at the turn side though, you would possibly on occasion face some hiccups as well.
From the Explorer app refusing to open to going through common crashes, customers have become bugged with all such kinds of issues, even at the trendy generation of the OS. Fortunately, there do exist pretty some workarounds that could assist you to rectify those problems. And on this manual, we are able to display to you the way to do simply that. So without similar ado, let’s get began out with the manual to fix the File Explorer crashing difficulty to your Windows 11 PC.
How to Fix File Explorer keeps crashing in Windows 11
There isn’t any universal fix as such. You would have to try out each of the below-mentioned workarounds until one of them spells out success for you.
Fix 1: Restart Windows Explorer
If any of the app’s history processes or offerings receive corruption, then it is able to have an adverse effect on the general capability of that app. Therefore, you have to recall last that app altogether after restarting it. This will supply the app with a clean environment to paintings in. Here’s how you may do the equal through Task Manager:
- Use the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut key combinations to bring up Task Manager
- Within that, select Windows Explorer from the list.
- Finally, hit the End Task button. Explorer will then restart and the issue might be rectified.
- If not, then again bring up the Task Manager, but this time go to the Details tab.
- Select the explorer.exe file and hit the End Task button.
- Wait for a few seconds and then relaunch Explorer. Check if it is able to fix the File Explorer crashing issue on your Windows 11 PC
Fix 2: Use System Maintenance Troubleshooter
The System Maintainance Troubleshooter scans for underlying troubles with the diverse machine and UWP apps and subsequently brings the related repair as well. So let’s place this diagnostic device to check proper away and debug and fasten the Explorer issue.
- Launch Control panel from the Start Menu.
- Then change its View By type to Large icons from the top right and go to the Troubleshooting section.
- After that, click on Run Maintenance task under System and Security.
- The tool will diagnose issues in all the system apps, including the Explorer.
- It will then bring the associated fixes as well. Just click on the desired fix to implement it,
- Finally, restart your PC and then check if the File Explorer crashing issue on your Windows 11 PC has been fixed or not.
FIX 3: Delete File Explorer Cache
If loads of temporary information receives collected over the due direction of time, then now no longer best may want to slow down that app, however, may also save you from carrying out its ordinary functionality. And File Explorer is one such app in which the cache receives accrued at everyday intervals. Be it the brief leftover files, the thumbnails, hidden brief files (usually of .ini format), all count on this unnecessary intake of garage space. Therefore, you must don’t forget to delete that information proper away, which might bedone as follows:
- Launch File Explorer via Windows+E shortcut keys.
- Then click on the three horizontal dots situated at the top and select Options
- Now under the General tab, click on the Clear button under Privacy. This will delete all the cache files.
- Once that happens, verify if the File Explorer crashing issue on your Windows 11 PC has been fixed or not.
Fix 4: Use the SFC Command
The System File Checker (SFC) device is used to experiment with your PC for all of the corrupted documents. If such documents are found, then Windows will update them with their operating model this is saved as a cached report on your PC. This device is absolutely command-line based and doesn’t have any UI as such. To use it, here’s what you want to do:
- Head over to the Start Menu and search CMD. Then launch the Command Prompt window as an administrator.
- Type in the below command and hit Enter
- Thus will launch the System File Checker Tool, which will perform the scan and automatically repair the corrupted files.
- Once done, it is recommended that you restart your PC.
- When your PC running Windows 11 boots up, check if the File Explorer crashing issue has been fixed or not.
Fix 5: Use the DISM Command
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is used to carry and repair Windows images (.wim), Windows Setup, and Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE). If there’s trouble with both 3 components, then there are bound to be problems with Windows programs, services, and frameworks. Therefore, it’s miles recommended which you carry out a DISM test on your PC. This is also a command-line tool and might be used as follows:
- Go to the Start Menu and search CMD.
- Then launch the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- After that, execute the below command to invoke the tool
- The process will now start and could take a few minutes. However, if the above command fails to work on your PC, then try using the below command:
- Once done, restart your Windows 11 PC and verify if the File Explorer crashing issue has been fixed or not.
Fix 6: Tweak the File Explorer Option
This is one of these workarounds that sounds pretty primary on paper, however, still controlled to work out for a few users. Here we’re simply tweaking the default putting of File Explorer which in turn will refresh its configuration and will rectify the crashing problem as well. Here’s how you can attempt it out:
- Launch Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Change the View by to Large Icons and select File Explorer Options
- Then select the Open File Explorer option to This PC if it was set to Quick Access, or Quick Access if it was set to This PC.
- Once done, hit OK to save the changes.
- Now try accessing the File Explorer, the underlying issue would have been fixed.
With this, we round off the manual on how you can fix the File Explorer crashing trouble to your Windows 11 PC. We have shared 5 different techniques for the same. Do allow us to know withinside the feedback segment which one spelled out success for you. Moreover, here’s our complete insurance on a plentitude of Windows 11 topics: Tips and Tricks, Error Fixes, How-To Guides, and more. Do take a look at them out Windows 11 Catalogue.